Tuesday, October 28, 2008

She's A Girl

Okay, so I need to vent a bit here. I realize my daughter has little to no hair and I do dream of the day when I can run a brush through it, put it in a pony-tail and most of all clip a bow in it. But, just because a child doesn't have luscious, flowing locks doesn't mean they look like a boy. Every single time we are out and about (and I am not exaggerating here) Laney gets referred to as a boy. My new mantra is "she's a girl" because I find myself repeating these words to the strangers who have enough audacity to assume she is a boy even though she is dressed in head-to-toe pink. Does anyone else feel my pain on this issue?

Oh and a fun side note...Laney threw up on herself and me today and as I was getting her into the bathtub, she peed on me. Needless to say I am headed to the kitchen to enjoy a nice glass of wine!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Phelpsie you make me laugh! Lane is ALL GIRL... just be patient. People need to get a clue...

Nadelhoffer said...

I feel your frustration. Matthew had no hair for a long time, too. What he did have, though, were long lucious lashes. Of course he was referred to as "she", bless his heart. Lane will only build character through her temporary hair deficiency. Watch out all ye that make male comments her way, once she talks, she'll have some of the best come-backs!

Marcus, Stephanie,Jaelyn & Benjamin said...

I am SO with you on this one! Jaelyn still hasn't been blessed by the hair fairy and gets countless...what a good lookin' boy you have. Ahhhh!! I feel your pain. I have been nice to people and simply smile & nod as I walk away...may be I should start making the folks feel awkward and yell, "she's a girl!" :)

Keely said...

I'm amazed by what people say. Matthew has a ton of hair and wears all blue and sometimes people will call him a girl! Sometimes I'd rather have that instead of 'wow, he is SO small!' :-)

The VanderPloeg's said...

yep yep and yep - people need a clue. Rory is always called a boy as well. She has little hair as well, and despite my efforts of dressing her in pink, people still think boy. However - since she's my 2nd kid - and my Lainy was called a boy too, with Rory I don't even correct them - I just say thanks - yes he's a cute boy with red hair!