Monday, July 14, 2008

Allergy

Lane has been on soy formula since the very beginning due to a overall body rash she got directly after trying her on regular formula at about 7 1/2 months. Since it is time for her to begin drinking milk rather than formula, I called her doctor the other day to ask if I should try whole milk or just go directly to soy milk. The nurse at the doctors office acted very laid back about the whole thing and said just to give her the whole milk and if she has any sort of adverse reaction to give her the soy. Her last words were" she should be fine."
Well, she wasn't fine. I attempted to give her a small amount of whole milk mixed with her formula last Friday for lunch. Within 20 minutes she began to projectile vomit everywhere (and I mean everywhere), her eyes started to swell shut and she was sneezing uncontrollably. She had hives over her chest, abdomen and groin. And then....the worst of all she began gasping for air. I have never been more panicked in my life and tried my best to calm her down while I called the doctor. Of course....it was "lunch hour" at the doctor's office so I had to call another number to actually talk to someone. The woman who answered didn't pick up on my panic right away and rudely told me to call back during normal business hours. I think she got how serious I was after a few choice words were spoken on my end. Lane's breathing began to slow down while I was on the phone so they suggested I give her Benadryl asap. This helped immediately and she slowly began to return to herself. So, soy milk it is. I am hoping this is all she is allergic to as I pray we never have to go through that again. I will definitely be addressing this further at her 1-year check-up in a couple of weeks!

3 comments:

Bethany said...

What in the world!?!? Sounds super scary...glad everything is okay!

Rachel said...

Oh my word....I'm so sorry! How scary! She gives a bad name to nurses. I promise we're not all like that. So no cheese, yogurt, or other dairy either, huh! I pray she doesn't have other allergies either.

Marcus, Stephanie,Jaelyn & Benjamin said...

Oh my goodness. I can't imagine what you were going through...scary stuff. I'm glad that the benadryl worked quickly!! Boo-hoo on the nurse that told it all would be "fine".